Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

On Batman

Batman has always been the touchstone to renew myself. He is one of the greatest characters in literary history. His own mythology awakes in us our own human potential. Sure, you might say he’s just a character, and you’d be right. But characters have power. They inspire. They create a space for us to imagine our selves better, finer, stronger, wiser. They remind us of our highest natures. We can always make ourselves over. It's never too late to change your life.

Batman is my Sisyphus, my Prometheus, eternally prowling the night on his impossible quest to rid Gotham city of crime. And we all have our impossible quests. But even though it is impossible, even though one day we will die, we have to commit to this world, this time, this moment, and make a difference wherever we are. Batman is my Buddha. He was my Buddha even before I knew who Buddha was. And I suspect he’ll be along for the ride throughout my life time. I can’t imagine my life without him as strange as that sounds. As a symbol, Batman is an organizing point for me. It may sound silly to some, and I admit it sometimes does to me too, but I think we all have one character or some token of our childhood that reminds us of that liminal moment, that threshold moment, when one world ended and another began. When we lost some of our innocence, or all of it. For me, Batman was waiting in between those worlds and guided me into the next one. It was a darker world, sure, but it was the real one.

No comments:

Post a Comment